This burger is as a good as the movie, only with a happy ending. Grilled patty on a bakery bun with melted cheddar, thick-cut bacon, and Brussels sprout slaw in a port wine vinaigrette.
1 burger patty of your choice
1 slice medium cheddar cheese
2 slices thick-cut bacon
1 burger bun, toasted
½ cup Brussels sprout slaw
For the slaw
½ cup ruby red port
½ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
2 shallots, minced
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds (about 50) Brussels sprouts, stem ends removed, sliced in food processor
6 slices bacon, diced, cooked, and drained
1 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Make the slaw. Combine the port, vinegar, and shallots. Reduce by half. Whisk in honey, mustard and olive oil.
2. Add remaining slaw ingredients. Toss and season.
3. Cook burger to an internal temperature of 160°F.
4. Place burger on bun heel. Add cheese and bacon.
5. Pile the slaw on top of the bacon.
6. Place bun crown offset the burger. Serve with extra port vinaigrette on the side.
Omit the bun, cheddar, and bacon slices. Then go to the gym and do extra cardio.
A really crispy potato cake, or even some house-made chips slipped in between bun and slaw would be yummy.
You’re already ahead of the trend-wagon with a Brussels sprout slaw. But if that’s not enough, you could forage for the Brussels sprouts.