Grilled burger on a soft white bun, topped with melted cheddar, diced white onions, yellow mustard and…wait for it…a pickled hot dog! Pickled in-house of course, for a completely ironic take on the artisanal food craze.
1 burger patty of your choice
1 burger roll, toasted
1 slice cheddar cheese
1 each pickled hot dog
2 Tablespoons diced white onion
1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
Prep the pickled hot dogs
2 pounds 10-to-1 hot dogs, cut in half lengthwise
1 large onion, thinly sliced
&frac13 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
2 ounces Tabasco sauce
2 cups white vinegar
1 teaspoon pickling spice
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1. Cook burger to an internal temperature of 160°F.
2. Place burger on bun heel
3. Add cheese
4. Criss-cross pickled hot dog on top of cheese
5. Sprinkle with diced onion and streak with mustard
6. Lean bun crown against the burger and serve
Prepare the hot dogs
1. Place sliced onions with hot dogs in appropriate container
2. Combine remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes
3. Pour hot vinegar mixture over hot dogs and cover
4. Refrigerate for 2 days before serving
Add a couple of slices of melty American cheese.
You’re already cutting edge with a pickled hot dog. But you could go crazy and add some house-made sweet pickle relish.