For the sweet pickled chipotles
20 dried chipotle chiles
6 cups water
40 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 ½ large white onions, peeled and sliced into thin rings
2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
4 bay leaves
4 sprigs thyme
As needed, kosher salt
1. Combine water, dried chipotles and garlic.
2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
3. Cook partially covered, until the chiles are soft, about 1 hour.
4. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 30 minutes.
5. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.
1. Cook burger to an internal temperature of 160°F.
2. Place quesadilla cheese on each tortilla and grill until cheese is melted.
3. Place burger on one tortilla. Sprinkle with pickled chipotles, diced onion, cilantro and tomatoes.
4. Top with second tortilla. Cut into quarters to serve.
Turn into a salad by omitting tortillas and serving on a bed of iceberg and rough-cut cilantro, dressed with lime juice and a splash of olive oil.
This burger would be great with bacon.
Make sure to get credit on your menu for making your own pickled chipotles.